Africa Asia Middle East عربي Français Português e-mail Alerts RSS IRIN Site Map
PlusNews
Global HIV/AIDS news and analysis
Advanced search
 Saturday 12 September 2009
 
Home 
Africa 
Blog 
Weekly reports 
In-Depth reports 
Country profiles 
Fact files 
Events 
Most read 
 
Print report Bookmark and Share
SENEGAL: Hundreds displaced after clashes


Photo: Nancy Palus/IRIN
Families fleeing their neighbourhood of Diabir on the outskirts of Ziguinchor
ZIGUINCHOR, 4 September 2009 (IRIN) - At least 600 people have fled their homes on the outskirts of Ziguinchor, the main city of Senegal’s Casamance region, after clashes between the Senegalese army and separatist rebels.

On 4 September families were seen streaming out of the Diabir neighbourhood – which is just outside of Ziguinchor proper – toting mattresses, televisions, clothing, suitcases and other belongings on their heads, on bicycles or on donkey-carts. People also fled their homes in nearby Baraf.

Many families walked toward areas of Ziguinchor; they told IRIN they were going to join relatives who live in the city. But as of late afternoon at least 150 people were sitting on luggage or on the ground in an area on the edge of Ziguinchor called Grand Yoff.

“We have nowhere to go,” said one man, standing next to his wife and four young sons.

“Rebels came into Diabir,” he said. “Initially we all hid under beds and did not move. Then eventually we decided to leave because we were afraid something worse was to come.”

Heavy weapon fire could be heard in the centre of Ziguinchor throughout the morning of 4 September. The mortar fire followed an attack by rebels of the separatist Movement for the Democratic Forces of Casamance on an army base.

Into the night on 4 September humanitarian organizations and local authorities were evaluating the situation and determining people’s immediate needs.

“It is yet not clear exactly how many people fled their homes,” said Christina de Bruin, head of UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) in Ziguinchor and UN area security coordinator. “A rapid estimation is that at least 600 people – 85 households – have left the areas of Diabir and Baraf.”


Photo: Nancy Palus/IRIN
A woman and her children are among hundreds who fled their homes on the outskirts of Ziguinchor
She added: “For UNICEF protection is the first concern. We need to find out first whether people are safe and whether any children are separated from their families.”

UNICEF and other agencies are readying emergency stocks in case of need, including mosquito nets, water filters, tarpaulins and jerry cans.

UNICEF’s de Bruin told IRIN the situation appears to have reached a new level of gravity. “For a long time the situation in Casamance has been described as ‘neither war, nor peace’. But things have degraded significantly in the last month and these latest events, sadly, have a direct impact on the population.”

The governor of Ziguinchor on 4 September called an emergency meeting with UN agencies and their partner organizations. 

The UN has temporarily suspended movement of staff outside of Ziguinchor.
 
The incident marks the third time since 21 August rebels have clashed with the army.

Casamance is the site of one of Africa’s longest-running conflicts, sparked when MFDC separatists launched a rebellion in 1982. The region – where agriculture is the main source of local income – is hit by sporadic violence as a definitive settlement has yet to be achieved, five years after the government and rebels signed a peace agreement.

Vast parts of the lush region are not cultivated because of land mines and the recent fighting has many people afraid to return to their fields and so they risk losing what they recently planted.

np/ci


Theme(s): (PLUSNEWS) Children, (PLUSNEWS) Conflict, (PLUSNEWS) Governance, (PLUSNEWS) Refugees/IDPs

[ENDS]

[This report does not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations]
Print report Bookmark and Share
Countries
FREE Subscriptions
Your e-mail address:


Submit your request
 More on Senegal
12/Sep/2009
WEST AFRICA: IRIN-WA Weekly Round-up 495 for 4 - 11 September 2009
11/Sep/2009
WEST AFRICA: “Serious trouble” looms if rains continue
11/Sep/2009
SENEGAL: One landmine gone, hectares of farmland gained
11/Sep/2009
WEST AFRICA: Synopsis of flood damage
11/Sep/2009
SENEGAL: Elisabeth Sambou, “My motivation is freeing up the land for the people”
 More on Children
10/Sep/2009
SOMALIA: Street children "becoming the new gangsters"
10/Sep/2009
KENYA: Water shortages lead to cholera outbreaks
08/Sep/2009
SOMALIA: Hassna Qassim, "I cannot remember the last time we had more than one meal a day"
04/Sep/2009
SUDAN: Women, children increasingly targeted in Southern clashes
04/Sep/2009
SIERRA LEONE: Whether to criminalize child labour
 Most Read 
AFRICA: A rough guide to climate change in Africa
AFRICA: Trying to work from the same weather page
SUDAN: WHO warns of epidemics in conflict areas of south
ZIMBABWE: The goal in 2010 is food security
SOMALIA: Street children "becoming the new gangsters"
Back | Home page

Services:  Africa | Asia | Middle East | Radio | Film & TV | Photo | Live news map | E-mail subscription
Feedback · E-mail Webmaster · IRIN Terms & Conditions · Really Simple Syndication News Feeds · About PlusNews · Jobs · Bookmark PlusNews · Donors

Copyright © IRIN 2009
This material comes to you via IRIN, the humanitarian news and analysis service of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the United Nations or its Member States. Republication is subject to terms and conditions as set out in the IRIN copyright page.