Africa Asia Middle East Français Português Subscribe IRIN Site Map
PlusNews
Global HIV/AIDS news and analysis
Advanced search
 Thursday 04 October 2007
 
Home 
Africa 
Weekly reports 
In-Depth reports 
Country profiles 
Fact files 
Events 
Jobs 
Really Simple Syndication Feeds 
About PlusNews 
Donors 
Contact PlusNews 
 
Print report
DRC: Regional ministers push to end violence in the east


Photo: IRIN
MONUC and the DRC army were urged to step up their efforts in the east
KAMPALA, 19 September 2007 (IRIN) - The UN Mission to the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUC) and the Congolese army should step up efforts to eliminate "negative forces" in order to improve the security situation in eastern Congo, regional foreign ministers said.

Meeting in the Ugandan capital, Kampala, the ministers were referring to the instability caused by factions including the Democratic Republic of Congo’s (DRC) former general, Laurent Nkunda, and the ex-FAR/Interahamwe.

"Delegations expressed concern about deteriorating security conditions in eastern Congo, in particular the destabilising roles of former general, Laurent Nkunda, and the ex-FAR/Interahamwe. [They] committed themselves to support the DRC in its efforts to end the violence and reduce the regional security threat of these and other negative forces in eastern Congo," a communiqué issued on 17 September said.

The talks, which came in the wake of weeks of fighting in eastern DRC, were convened under the so-called "Tripartite Plus Joint Commission", and were attended by officials from Burundi, DRC, Rwanda, Uganda and the UN, and facilitated by the United States.

As a result, the UN will be called upon to send in more troops and equipment to enable the force to handle the situation in the DRC.

"MONUC presented its reports during the meeting and observed that the DRC was too big for them to handle. They have to handle Nkunda, they also have to handle the LRA [Ugandan rebel Lord's Resistance Army], and other negative groups in the DRC," said one official.

The ministers endorsed the plan to establish a Joint Planning Cell, while Congo committed to convene a political-level meeting of the Congo-Rwanda Joint Verification Commission on 21 September in Goma, "with a view to easing tensions in the Kivus".

A legal advisory team from the tripartite member countries will meet in Bukavu on 29-31 October to complete a review of legal measures that may be taken against those who have threatened peace and security in the region.

''The UN  will be called upon to send in more troops and equipment to enable the force to handle the situation in the DRC''
Clashes erupted late last month between forces loyal to Nkunda and government troops.

The UN envoy to the DRC, William Swing, expressed concern that the violence had continued to disrupt the work of the government which was voted in last year in the country's first free elections in 41 years.

"We remain concerned that the fighting in eastern DRC and the continued delay in dealing with negative forces in the DRC has disrupted the government from the work it has to do. We would prefer to finish the job of dealing with armed groups in the DRC so that foreign groups there can return home, and the local DRC militia forces can be disarmed and become integrated into the local forces," Swing told reporters.

The regional governments have committed to negotiate a tripartite agreement with the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) within two months, in order to prepare for the return of remaining refugees.

The region has suffered violent clashes since the early 1990s, which evolved into a regional war that raged in the DRC between 1998 and 2003.

Related stories

vm/jm


Theme(s): (IRIN) Conflict

[ENDS]

[This report does not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations]
Print report
FREE Subscriptions
Your e-mail address:


Submit your request
 More on Burundi
01/Oct/2007
BURUNDI: Nkurunziza strikes deal to end political stalemate
01/Oct/2007
AFRICA: La Niña: Worst is yet to come, warn climatologists
25/Sep/2007
AFRICA: Food production to halve by 2020
21/Sep/2007
CENTRAL & EASTERN AFRICA: IRIN-CEA Weekly Round-up 399 for 15 - 21 September 2007
19/Sep/2007
BURUNDI: Congolese asylum seekers moved to transit site
 More on Conflict
03/Oct/2007
DRC: MONUC rejects claims of army link to militia groups
02/Oct/2007
UGANDA: Picking up the Pieces
02/Oct/2007
SUDAN: Darfur attackers "committed war crimes"
02/Oct/2007
DRC: Troop build-up in North Kivu worrying - UN official
01/Oct/2007
SOMALIA: Living in fear of more floods
Back | Home page

Services:  Africa | Asia | Middle East | Radio | Film & TV | Photo | E-mail subscription
Feedback · E-mail Webmaster · IRIN Terms & Conditions · Really Simple Syndication News Feeds · About PlusNews · Bookmark PlusNews · Donors

Copyright © IRIN 2007
This material comes to you via IRIN, the humanitarian news and analysis service of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the United Nations or its Member States. Republication is subject to terms and conditions as set out in the IRIN copyright page.