IRIN PlusNews HIV/AIDS News and information service | Southern Africa | SOUTHERN AFRICA: India/South Africa cheap AIDS drugs venture announced | Care Treatment, Prevention, Other | Daily
Sunday 26 February 2006
Home About PlusNews Country Profiles News Briefs Special Reports Subscribe Archive IRINnews


East Africa
Great Lakes
Horn of Africa
Southern Africa
·South Africa
West Africa
RSS - News Briefs


PlusNews E-mail Subscription

SOUTHERN AFRICA: India/South Africa cheap AIDS drugs venture announced

[This report does not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations]

JOHANNESBURG, 7 February (PLUSNEWS) - Indian drug company Ranbaxy and South Africa's Community Investment Holdings (CIH) have agreed to jointly supply cheaper anti-AIDS drug to three Southern African countries.

Ranbaxy will hold a 70 percent stake in the joint venture while CIH, which has investments in key areas of technology, logistics and health, will hold the remaining 30 percent.

In a statement Ranbaxy said high-quality low-cost antiretrovirals (ARVs) would be distributed by governments, aid groups, AIDS management companies and retail pharmacies in South Africa, Botswana and Namibia.

The Indian drug manufacturer, which has a significant presence in South Africa, has been providing generic ARVs at affordable prices to other developing countries hard-hit by the pandemic.



Armed forces to tackle impact of HIV/AIDS,  13/Feb/06
AIDS-prevention policies promote stigma - expert,  28/Oct/05
HIV/AIDS eroding region's development, says UN report,  7/Sep/05
Farm workers neglected in HIV/AIDS prevention efforts,  11/Aug/05
HIV/AIDS, hunger a security threat, WFP warns,  1/Jul/05
· AIDS Media Center
· The Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis & Malaria
· International Community of Women Living with HIV/AIDS
· International HIV/AIDS Alliance

PlusNews does not take responsibility for info in links supplied.

[Back] [Home Page]

Click here to send any feedback, comments or questions you have about PlusNews Website or if you prefer you can send an Email to Webmaster

Copyright © IRIN 2006
The material contained on comes to you via IRIN, a UN humanitarian news and information service, but may not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations or its agencies.
All PlusNews material may be reposted or reprinted free-of-charge; refer to the IRIN copyright page for conditions of use. IRIN is a project of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.